The University of Pittsburgh and UPMC have policies in place which provide guidelines for authorized vendors, as well as researchers and scholars, who have been invited to participate in approved lab activities. The relevant policies are included for reference. Specific to financial and/or in-kind (e.g., devices, equipment, instrumentation, supplies, etc.) that will be provided by industry sponsors, the following institutional requirements must be followed:
Financial and/or in-kind support requires an agreement with the sponsor that must be handled through the Center for Continuing Education in the Health Sciences (CCEHS). Notification of such anticipated support must be communicated to the CCEHS at least three months prior to the activity.
The sections below detail the additional requirements established for clinical training courses and bioskills labs that will be supported by industry (financial and/or in-kind support). It is important to begin the process early in order to allow sufficient time for submission, processing, and company, departmental and institutional signoff on required agreements.
Coordination of Courses/Labs
These steps are to be followed for proposed clinical training courses and bioskills labs:
- If the proposed activity will received industry support (financial and/or in-kind), contact the Center for Continuing Education in the Health Sciences (CCEHS) for guidance on establishing the required grant agreement. This should be done at least two months prior to the activity. Please contact Justine Rubino, Director, CCEHS Operations, at email@example.com, or by phone at 412-647-8261.
- Submission of a CORID Clinical Training application.
- Once CORID approval has been provided, complete and submit an Anatomic Specimen Request.
- All individuals, including invited industry representatives, who will be present in the lab must read and sign the Lab Guidelines which are to be emailed to the OOAS at least one week prior to the scheduled lab.
- All non-UPMC clinical personnel who will be present in the lab must also provide current bloodborne pathogen training certificates which are to be emailed to the OOAS at least one week prior to the scehduled lab
- All industry representatives who have been invited to be present in the lab must comply with the Industry Relationships Policy, including provision of the documents referenced in the next section.
Attendance of Company Representatives at Approved Courses/Labs
All company representatives who have been invited to attend the activity must provide vertification that they have taken the following training:
- Vendor training module required by the Industry Relationship Policy. A certificate is provided at the end of the quiz and should be printed. A copy of the certificate for each individual attendee must be provided to the OOAS prior to the scheduled activity.
- Current bloodborne pathogen training (at the Internet-Based Studies in Education and Research site, click on All Modules). If training has already been taken, written confirmation must be provided.
Additionally, all company representatives who have been invited to be present during a scheduled activity that will be conducted in a lab within a UPMC hospital/clinical facility must be registered in VendorStat and in good standing. Designated staff within the course director's department must register all respresentatives who have been invited to attend the activity.